Side-Entry Rotary Airlock Valves
The Side Entry Rotary Airlock Valve is used in applications where product shearing is a concern. The valve name derives from the offset inlet and outlet flanges, where the product enters the side of the rotor instead of the top. On a normal valve, shearing takes place as the rotor rotates into the housing. When these two straight edges meet on a typical drop thru rotary airlock, this provides a pinch area where the product can shear and/or jam. With the side entry rotary airlock, the product is caught on the upswing of the rotor blades so that the product is constantly falling away from the shear point. The rotor pockets also do not fill up as completely, additionally reducing the likelihood of shearing. Lastly, the throat has a V shape which helps push product out of the way. Sizes: 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 and 20 inch.
Side Entry Rotary Airlock Valves
The Side Entry Rotary Airlock Valve is used in applications where product shearing is a concern. The valve name derives from the offset inlet and outlet flanges, where the product enters the side of the rotor instead of the top.
On a normal valve, shearing takes place as the rotor rotates into the housing. When the rotor vanes meet the throat on a typical rotary airlock, this creates a pinched area where the product can shear and/or jam the valve.
With the side entry rotary airlock, the product is caught on the upswing of the rotor blades so that the product is constantly falling away from the shear point.
The rotor pockets also do not fill up as completely, additionally reducing the likelihood of shearing. Lastly, the throat has a V shape which helps push the product out of the way.
- 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 and 20 inch.
- Round and Rectangular Flanges
Numerous rotor options are available:
- Open-end, closed-end, fixed blades, adjustable blades, beveled edges, scalloped pockets, reduced volume, quick release, Teflon coated, abrasion-resistant tips, flexible rubber tips, and many more.
Applications vary from metering product out of silos and hoppers to feeding product into pneumatic conveying lines.
Carolina Conveying is your solution for side entry rotary airlock valves. Designed to enhance your material handling efficiency, our valves provide a reliable solution for controlled material transfer. With precision engineering, our side entry rotary airlock valves ensure seamless operations by maintaining consistent material flow while preventing air leakage.
At Carolina Conveying, we understand the importance of smooth and efficient processes. Our side entry rotary airlock valves are expertly crafted to meet the demands of various industries, including food processing, pharmaceuticals, and more. These valves play a pivotal role in maintaining pressure differentials and preventing material bridging or jamming.
Explore our range of side entry rotary airlock valves and discover how they can enhance your material handling systems. With a commitment to quality and performance, Carolina Conveying is your trusted partner in achieving optimal productivity and reliability in bulk material transfer.
Features & Benefits:
- Minimizes or even eliminates shearing and jamming.
- Heavy Duty Castings for Body and End Covers.
- Rotor robustly constructed with thick vanes and large shafts to ensure tight tolerances are held.
- An unlimited number of rotor options are available including open end, closed end, fixed blades, adjustable blades, beveled edges, scalloped pockets, reduced volume, quick release, polished finishes, special coatings, abrasion resistant material, flexible rubber tips and many more.
- End covers are spigot located into the body for concentricity.
- Blow thru ports located directly in the end covers. Sweeping design directs air into the bottom of the pockets.
- The body, end covers, and rotor are precisely machined in CNC center to ensure tight tolerances, minimal clearances between the rotor and housing, maximum pressure differential sealing, and minimal leakage.
- Body vents for releasing pressurized air on return rotor pockets.
- Re-greasable, ball type bearings, mounted outboard.
- Gland type shaft seals with multiple rows of packing and design flexibility for air purging.
- Standard drives package includes high-efficiency helical gearboxes that will accommodate any C Flange motor whether it is TEFC, explosion proof, chemical duty, inverter duty, wash down duty etc. Helical gear reducers transmit more torque than the industrial standard worm type reducers used by most of our competitors - requiring less power consumption and providing more energy savings.
- Compact assembled units deliver ready to be installed.
- Wide range of sizes available from stock for quick shipment.
Carolina Conveying Inc. has designed three types of Rotary Airlocks to meet industry demands:
- Drop Thru Valves
- Blow Thru Valves
- Side Entry Valves
The most common applications from pneumatic conveying to dust collection systems for powders and granules. Widest range of sizes and options available.
Eliminates shearing and jamming, ideal for plastics, pellets, regrind and larger particles.
Pneumatic conveying applications with maximum efficiency and compact design, convey line air blows through the rotor pockets.
Airlocks have three main functions:
- Feeder applications with no pressure used purely to feed products from a bin or hopper at a controlled rate.
- Filter applications e.g. cyclones, baghouses and various collectors where fine dust must be collected while maintaining an air seal.
- Pneumatic conveying applications feeding material into a system against pressure or vacuum.
Carolina Conveying has the philosophy of meeting these demands with Heavy Duty Airlocks as standard.
Furthermore, with the introduction of sophisticated CNC machining equipment, volume sales and stock production - needs can be achieved with prompt delivery and competitive price.
All offered at the highest quality standards.
|Heavy Duty Cast Construction||Precision Machined with Tight Tolerances|
|Cast Iron or Stainless Steel||Round or Square Flanges|
|Pressure Differentials to 20 psi||High Temperature to 1500 F|
|4” through 36” Size Range||Special Sizes Available|
|Food||Plastics & Petrochemical||Animal Feed|
|Energy||Mining & Minerals||Chemical|
|Pneumatic Conveying||Dust Collection||Bulk Material Handling|
|Airlock only||Metering only||Airlock & Metering|
|Round Side Entry Rotary Airlocks|
|6||6||11||1/2||5||10||8 1/4||8 1/4||11 1/2||18 3/4||10 1/4||8 1/4||1 1/4||7 7/8||8||7/8||9 1/2||1/4||3||0.5|
|8||8||13 1/2||5/8||6 1/2||13||7 1/4||9 1/4||12 1/2||18 1/4||11 1/4||9 1/4||1 1/4||7 7/8||8||7/8||11 3/4||1/4||3 3/8||0.5|
|10||10||16||3/4||7 1/2||15||8 5/8||10 3/8||13 5/8||22 7/16||12 5/8||10 5/8||1 1/2||9 3/4||12||1||14 1/4||3/8||4 1/4||1|
|12||12||19||3/4||8 3/4||17 1/2||7 1/4||11 5/8||14 7/8||22 5/8||13 1/4||11 3/4||1 1/2||11 5/16||12||1||17||3/8||5||1|
|14||14||21||7/8||10 1/2||21||7||12||15 1/4||25 3/8||14 1/4||12 1/8||1 1/2||13||12||1 1/8||18 3/4||3/8||5 1/2||1|
|20||20||29 9/16||1||14||28||5 1/8||16 5/8||21||29 3/4||19 7/8||16 7/8||2 1/2||21 1/4||20||1 1/4||25||5/8||7 7/8||2|
Calculating Your Correct Valve Size
Valve size is based on volume. Throughput is usually expressed in lbs/hour or tons/hour, but for valve selection, the rate must be converted into cubic feet/hour.
∴ To calculate a valve throughput per hour:
= cu. ft. / hr. capacity
Bulk Density lbs / cu. ft.
∴ Based on, say, 240,000 lbs / hr. at a bulk density of 80 lb /cu. ft.
Valve throughput required =
80 lb / cu. ft.
= 3000 cu. ft. / hr.
- The chart below shows valve size in the first column
- The top row lists the practical fill efficiency for most applications
- The bottom row lists the rotor RPM
- Comparing the valve size to the rotor RPM, the corresponding discharge rate is shown based on the practical fill efficiency
On this application two valves can be selected:
(a) 24” Valve @ 10 RPM @ 90% fill efficiency
(b) 20” Valve @ 20 RPM @ 78% fill efficiency
For products with very light bulk density (< 20 pcf), a lesser fill efficiency must be used to calculate valve size.
|Practical Capacity in Cubic Feet per Hour (CFH)|
|Rotor Speed in RPM|