Blow-Thru Rotary Airlock Valves
Our Blow-Thru Rotary Airlock Valve is used only for pneumatic conveying applications – both positive pressure and vacuum. This unit is also very helpful in applications that have height limitations. Convey line adapters are provided to suit the application.
Instead of your typical outlet, blow-through rotary airlocks include two ports on the sides of the valve near the bottom of the valve. The conveying line pipe connects directly to the valve-end covers, with the air stream flowing through the rotor pockets.
This design is highly efficient and works well with materials that tend to hang-up in the rotor pockets. However, this valve is not recommended on abrasive products, as the vanes will quickly wear.
- 6, 8, 10, 12 and 16 inch.
Blow Thru Rotary Airlock Valves
The Blow Thru Rotary Airlock Valve is used in pneumatic conveying applications, both positive pressure, and vacuum systems.
Instead of an outlet throat, the blow thru airlock has ports on the sides of the end covers that connect directly to the convey line pipe. The convey line air blows through the rotor pockets which is very efficient and cleans the pockets.
Since an outlet convey line adapter is not required, the blow thru airlock is also very compact and requires less space for installation.
The valve comes with adapters to match the line size, both standard schedule pipe and OD tubing are available.
A typical connection is via compression couplings, but adapters are also available with flanges and threaded couplings.
- 6, 8, 10, 12, and 16 inch Round.
Numerous rotor options are available:
- Open-end, fixed blades, adjustable blades, beveled edges, scalloped pockets, reduced volume, quick release, Teflon coated, abrasion-resistant tips, and many more.
Blow Thru Rotary Airlock Valve Features & Benefits:
- Heavy Duty Castings for Body and End Covers.
- Rotor robustly constructed with thick vanes and large shafts to ensure tight tolerances are held.
- An unlimited number of rotor options are available including open end, closed end, fixed blades, adjustable blades, beveled edges, scalloped pockets, reduced volume, quick release, polished finishes, special coatings, abrasion resistant material, flexible rubber tips and many more.
- End covers are spigot located into the body for concentricity.
- The body, end covers and rotor are precisely machined in CNC center to ensure tight tolerances, minimal clearances between the rotor and housing, maximum pressure differential sealing, and minimal leakage.
- Body vents for releasing pressurized air on return rotor pockets.
- Re-greasable, ball type bearings, mounted outboard.
- Gland type shaft seals with multiple rows of packing and design flexibility for air purging.
- Standard drives package includes high efficiency helical gearboxes that will accommodate any C Flange motor whether it is TEFC, explosion proof, chemical duty, inverter duty, wash down duty etc. Helical gear reducers transmit more torque than the industrial standard worm type reducers used by most of our competitors - requiring less power consumption and providing more energy savings.
- Compact assembled units deliver ready to be installed.
- Wide range of sizes available from stock for quick shipment.
Carolina Conveying Inc. has designed three types of Rotary Airlocks to meet industry demands:
- Drop Thru Valves
- Blow Thru Valves
- Side Entry Valves
The most common applications from pneumatic conveying to dust collection systems for powders and granules. Widest range of sizes and options available.
Eliminates shearing and jamming, ideal for plastics, pellets, regrind and larger particles.
Pneumatic conveying applications with maximum efficiency and compact design, convey line air blows through the rotor pockets.
Airlocks Have Three Main Functions:
- Feeder applications with no pressure used purely to feed products from a bin or hopper at a controlled rate.
- Filter applications e.g. cyclones, baghouses and various collectors where fine dust must be collected while maintaining an air seal.
- Pneumatic conveying applications feeding material into a system against pressure or vacuum.
Carolina Conveying has the philosophy of meeting these demands with Heavy Duty Airlocks as standard.
Furthermore, with the introduction of sophisticated CNC machining equipment, volume sales and stock production - needs can be achieved with prompt delivery and competitive price.
All offered at the highest quality standards.
|Heavy Duty Cast Construction||Precision Machined with Tight Tolerances|
|Cast Iron or Stainless Steel||Round Flanges|
|Pressure Differentials to 20 psi||6” through 16” Size Range|
|Food||Plastics & Petrochemical||Animal Feed|
|Energy||Mining & Minerals||Chemical|
|Airlock only||Airlock & Metering|
|Round Blow Thru Rotary Airlocks|
|6||6||11||1/2||5 1/2||10 5/8||8 7/8||7 5/8||10 3/4||14 3/8||10 1/4||8 13/16||1 1/4||5 5/8||8||7/8||9 1/2||1/4||11 5/8||2 3/8||0.5|
|8||8||13 1/2||1/2||6 5/16||12 3/16||7 7/8||8 5/8||11 7/8||14 3/8||11 1/4||9 7/8||1 1/4||5 5/8||8||7/8||11 3/4||1/4||12 5/8||2 7/8||0.5|
|10||10||16||9/16||7 7/8||15||9||9 15/16||13 9/16||17 3/8||12 5/8||11 1/4||1 1/2||6 1/8||12||1||14 1/4||3/8||13 15/16||3 1/2||1|
|12||12||19||3/4||9 7/16||18 5/16||7 7/8||11 1/8||14 7/8||18 7/8||13 3/4||12 3/8||1 1/2||7 11/16||12||1||17||3/8||15 1/8||4||1|
|16||16||23 1/2||3/4||11 13/16||22 13/16||8 3/16||13 3/4||18 3/4||23 1/4||18||15 3/4||2 1/2||9 1/4||20||1 1/8||21 1/4||5/8||17 11/16||5 9/16||1.5|
Calculating Your Correct Valve Size
Valve size is based on volume. Throughput is usually expressed in lbs/hour or tons/hour, but for valve selection, the rate must be converted into cubic feet/hour.
∴ To calculate a valve throughput per hour:
= cu. ft. / hr. capacity
Bulk Density lbs / cu. ft.
∴ Based on, say, 240,000 lbs / hr. at a bulk density of 80 lb /cu. ft.
Valve throughput required =
80 lb / cu. ft.
= 3000 cu. ft. / hr.
- The chart below shows valve size in the first column
- The top row lists the practical fill efficiency for most applications
- The bottom row lists the rotor RPM
- Comparing the valve size to the rotor RPM, the corresponding discharge rate is shown based on the practical fill efficiency
On this application two valves can be selected:
(a) 24” Valve @ 10 RPM @ 90% fill efficiency
(b) 20” Valve @ 20 RPM @ 78% fill efficiency
For products with very light bulk density (< 20 pcf), a lesser fill efficiency must be used to calculate valve size.
|Practical Capacity in Cubic Feet per Hour (CFH)|
|Rotor Speed in RPM|